Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Prairie doggin Arsenal.

What calibers do you other prairie dog hunters use? What bullets do you use with them? I have a bunch, but don’t take them all each time. I usually pick a couple for under 300yd, a few for 3-600yd, and 1 or 2 for long range. My arsenal consists of 17fireball, 17remington, 22hornet, 222, 223, 223ackley, 22-250 Ackley, 220swift, 243ackley, 6mm Remington, and 6-284. I use mostly v-max and ballistic tip bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I'm currently in Eastern Montana where the coyotes are thick and the shots can get long.
    I've used .22 lr, 17 hornet, 204 Ruger, 223 Remington, 25-06, and 260. They all killed prairie dogs just fine. The 2 most fun were the 204 and the 25-06. I don't have the 204 anymore and mostly use the 17 hornet now & occasionally the 25-06 on windier days. I'm in process of building a 22-243 Middlestead but it won't see the prairie dog towns, it'll be a dedicated coyote shooter.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I forgot about 204ruger. That’s one of my favorites. Never could get the published velocities out of it, but still an outstanding cartridge.

Title
    Administrator
    223 only, 50gr Z-Max
    For the amount of shooting our guys do, barrels won't last 1 season in other calibers

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Sage View Post
    223 only, 50gr Z-Max
    For the amount of shooting our guys do, barrels won't last 1 season in other calibers
    I go once a year, usually shoot around 1500 rounds in that weekend. Split that between 8 rifles and they last awhile. The short and long range rifles don’t get shot as much. Most of our shooting is between 3-600 yards, so the 204, 22-250 Ackley’s, and 220 Swift’s see the most action.

Title
    Premium Member
    I'm currently in Eastern Montana where the coyotes are thick and the shots can get long.
    I think it'd take some doing to burn out the barrel on a .17 hornet, but it's only good to 400 yards max... At least I can't get it to do much past that.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk